A battery pack is a group of connected batteries designed to produce a particular voltage, power density, and capacity. Typically developed using one size or type of power source, a battery pack can be created from a wide variety of cells and batteries. Battery packs contain interconnects that channel the power through the series or string of batteries. How the batteries are linked plays a role in the performance characteristics of the group.
Rechargeable batteries can be used to create a battery pack. When that is the case, the configuration typically contains a sensor that detects when the charging cycle is complete. Other devices like regulators and balancers can be used to ensure that all batteries get fully charged and that the pack is balanced, which improves the life and performance of the group.
There are battery suppliers that use cells and batteries to mass produce generic battery packs. However, there are many use cases where a standard battery pack is not a good fit, either physically or in terms of its energy delivery capability and characteristics. In those instances, product manufacturers can work with battery suppliers to have custom battery packs developed. That way they get portable power systems with specific cell chemistry and configurations that meet their unique needs.
Battery Pack Uses and Benefits
Groups of cells and batteries grouped into battery packs are used in a wide variety of industries for an array of different purposes. Many people are familiar with the battery packs used to power remote controlled cars and other toys. Workers in the construction trades capitalize on the power, portability, and quick replacement capabilities of battery packs in the tools they use to do their jobs. Battery packs are also used to provide primary and backup power for a wide range of handheld communication devices and gadgets.
Some of the many benefits of custom battery packs for consumers and manufacturers include:
- Greater convenience. Battery packs are much easier to store and transport than individual batteries. They also simplify inventory management.
- Higher energy output. Battery packs can be engineered to produce high capacity and high voltage through their configuration, even when made up of cells and batteries with lower voltage and capacity.
- Streamlined manufacturing. Utilizing battery packs allows for faster and more efficient production of finished products.
- Optimized fit. Battery packs can be configured to fit perfectly into virtually any cavity within a device, giving product designers more freedom to focus on a product’s function.
- Enhanced safety. Custom battery packs can be sealed to discourage tampering or battery swapping, and their unique shape can help ensure that the right power supply is used.
- Repeat business. Incorporating a specialized battery pack in a product creates a somewhat captive aftermarket relationship with consumers resulting in future product sales.
What to Look for in a Custom Battery Pack Provider
Battery packs are about more than just the cells and batteries they contain. It is important that the battery suppliers you work with have both the capabilities and the experience you need to produce the kind of portable power supplies called for by your products. For example, a supplier should be able to work with a variety of chemistries including:
- Alkaline batteries
- NiCad batteries
- Lead acid batteries
- Lithium primary batteries
- Li-Ion batteries
- NiMH batteries
- Li-Iron phosphate batteries
- Li-Polymer batteries
A battery pack producer should also have the expertise to handle other operations including:
- Developing packs with custom connectors, wires, and electronics
- Shrink-wrapping the finished battery pack
- Housing the battery pack in a plastic case
- Fitting the battery pack into an electronic enclosure
In addition, any battery suppliers you are considering should perform extensive testing on finished units, including UN-DOT testing, to ensure they not only provide the performance and reliability you need but also meet all applicable safety standards. Finally, your custom battery pack supplier should be able to provide all the above services collaboratively and cost-effectively.
Our full-service facility outside of Denver can take your custom battery pack from prototype to final packaging, quickly and cost-effectively. Contact Rapport, Inc. today to get answers to all of your questions about how you can leverage groups of cells and batteries combined in high-performance custom battery packs!